12.16.2008

Baby, It's Cold Outside

From Dec 2008
We even thought Willy may need to bundle up for his walk since it was so cold last night. Little did we know that it was going to be COLD and drizzle a little bit overnight. I was surprised (and a little bit excited) to get a phone call from work at 5:30 am to let me know that school was going to be delayed for 2 hours. Woohoo! So I settled back into bed to watch TV and read for the next hour or so. At 6:30 am, I then get another phone call explaining that school was now CLOSED. What the heck happened? Now, I am concerned. I don't mind coming in late, but I didn't want to waste a bad-weather day this close to our Christmas break! What in the world I am going to do with Tucker all day long?
Well, we have been trying to stay busy and keep from driving each other crazy. I did some laundry and cleaned the house a little bit. I then got into a cooking mood and decided to make peanut brittle. I have already made 2 batches, but the third time was notta good. This is microwave peanut brittle and evidently a hot glass bowl full of peanut brittle batter and cold granite counter tops DO NOT work together. As soon as I took the glass bowl out of the microwave and set it on the countertop, I heard a "crack". The bowl cracked all the way around about half-way up the bowl. At this point, foaming brittle is leaking out. (I thought about getting a picture, but had my hands full at this time.) I grab the top of the bowl, but since it is broken, the bottom half with the brittle stays. I yell for Tucker to get the trash can and we slide it all into the trash. Oops, plastic trash can with plastic garbage bag inside! I guess you figure what is happening now. Yep, piping how brittle batter is now melting the trash bag and getting all over the trash can. What a mess!
About 3o minutes later, the mess is cleaned up and I am determined to "get back on the horse again." I start making batch #4 of peanut brittle. This time with a hand-towel covering the granite so I can put the bowl on a warm spot. Everthing turned out the 4th time and I am now enjoying a little bit of peanut brittle as I type.
Tucker has been busy helping me and creating new messes for me to clean. Finally this afternoon he settled down to watch a little bit of TV. This is the most quiet the house has been all day... Just don't let those closed eyes fool you; he isn't really asleep. It isn't often that I can get both boys in the picture at the same time. :0) Just a couple of more hours and John will be home. Whew, it has been a long day!
From Dec 2008

1 comments:

Eigna said...

I felt the same way about being with Addison all day! I was so excited at 3:00 when I found out her Gym had free play. At least we got out of the house for an hour! :)