1.29.2009

Lunch Date


After looking at the lunch menu for Thursday at Tucker's school, he asked me to bring him lunch from Sonic instead. No problemo, little man! Here was my chance to meet the love note queen. :0)
I did meet Tucker for lunch. As part of the lunch ritual at his school, Tucker is allowed to invite one friend to also join us at the special "parent" table. As soon as Tucker saw me, he was ready to pick a friend and all of a sudden a girl grabs him and tells him that she is eating with us. Mmmm...little bit pushy, but the girl isn't afraid to get what she wants. As luck would have it, I am now sitting face-to-face with the love note queen. She is a cutie and a little spitfire, definitely one who can hold her own against the mighty T.
We had a fun time during lunch and they were excited/silly enough that I was ready to hand them back to their teacher. Let me just say that 25 minutes can be very long when you are sitting at a table with Kindergarteners. I think that they ate in about 8 minutes and had rest of the time to play around. This is a very uncomfortable feeling for the teacher in me. I felt like I needed to break out a book to read to them or something.
As Tucker was finally able to line up to get ready to go back to the classroom, I had a little reflection of his first day of school and how anxious I was to let him go to the classroom without me. I am glad that I get to spend lunchtime with Tucker every once in a while. I enjoy seeing him confident and content with where he is and who he is. I was concerned that it would be a challenge making friends just because he is not attending his neighborhood school, but that seemed to never bother him and he has made friends with everyone in his class. Friends, I can handle...I am just hoping that we don't receive any more letters from the girls.

0 comments: