8.25.2008

First Day of Kindergarten -sort of



Today is the "official" first day of school, except that kindergarteners only go from 9:00-10:00 am. Not sure why, but that is just the way our school district works.
We all met in the cafeteria to hear from our principal then our kindergarteners lined up by classes and were led by different staff member to go through specials rotation of PE, Music, Art, and Computer classes. The parents lined up by classes and went to the classroom to listen to an "orientation" by our teacher. As I sit down and our teacher starts talking she says, "Sorry I am at the back of the room, but I don't have a wireless mouse to move the powerpoint, so I am back here stuck to my computer." HMMM, what is the elementary tech coordinator to do? I had lots of things running through my mind, but I just kept reminding myself that I was there as a parent and NOT as a school district employee. It is hard wearing both hats (parent and school district employee), but I am trying my best!
During the powerpoint, we learned about snacks, and discipline charts, and that they eat brunch at 10:25-10:55ish and that she doesn't have a wireless mouse (oops, I tried not to mention that again!). I learned that I could bring cupcakes for Tucker's birthday in a few weeks and that our classroom is NOT a peanut free zone.

Tucker soon returned with his classmates ready to go. He and Peaches went back over to the discipline chart one more time before we left to make sure that we had it down as to what is good behavior and not so good. "D" is a good thing..."A" is notta good! Got to get that one straight.
Overall it was a great first day of school for my little man. He had one hour of kindergarten then it was off to be with Peaches for the rest of the day. We may just get use to this kindergarten stuff, yet.

0 comments: