8.03.2008

Easy Weekend

I don't know about you all, but I don't mind a lazy weekend every once in a while. Come to think of it, this is the first weekend in quite a while that we have spent at our house. We did manage to ride bicycles to What-a-burger and eat taquitos for breakfast. Afterwards, Tucker and John went swimming, while I started washing clothes and cleaning the kitchen.

The rest of Saturday was spent watching TV, finishing chores, and arguing with Tucker. How I get trapped into arguing with my 5 year old is beyond me! Being in education for 14 years...you would think that I would know better. :0)

We finally settled our differences long enough to go to Wal-mart. I wanted to try to make a Mississippi Mud Cake and needed to get a few items before Tucker and I could bake it. Have you ever eaten a Mississippi Mud Cake?

I can remember my grandmother and mom baking it. I can also remember my aunt Becky making it and bringing it to the lake a few times. I really didn't like it too much when I was younger, but I was a really picky eater. I hated anything with nuts, so I am guessing that is why I wouldn't eat the cake.

But today, looking at the picture in the cookbook, it looked really yummy and I wanted to try it! Tucker has a big sweet tooth, so I figured he would enjoy helping me make the cake and eating it. Tucker helped me make the cake, but it just about killed him waiting for it to cook. Patience is not something that you can use to describe this child! He was so excited when I finally took the cake out of the oven, only to be disappointed again when I poured on the marshmellows and slipped the cake back into the oven. After being asked, "mama, is it ready yet?" about twenty more times, the dessert was READY. Tucker claimed that is was the best thing we had every made. He also made sure that I knew that he was positive that it would be great for breakfast Sunday morning!


















Here is the recipe:

Mississippi Mud Cake
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
1 (10.5-ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
Preparation for Mississippi Mud CakeWhisk together melted butter and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in flour and chopped pecans. Pour batter into a greased and floured 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; top warm cake evenly with marshmallows. Return to oven, and bake 5 minutes. Drizzle Chocolate Frosting over warm cake. Cool completely.


Chocolate Frosting
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa

Preparation for Chocolate Frosting
Beat all ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.

0 comments: