9.17.2008

Water Cycle...In Tucker's Words

When I picked up Tucker on Monday, he couldn't wait to talk about what he did in school. He loves science and likes to keep me updated on the science experiments and topics that they learn about each day. Tucker said that they learned about water. He goes on to talk about how the Earth has more water than land. Then he asked me if I knew that there was a water cycle. I told that I had heard something about that before, but to fill me in on this new idea! He continues on to tell me his version of the water cycle, so here it goes:

Tucker: Mama, first you have a puddle of water outside, or a big bowl of water, or even a lake or ocean. The sun heats up the water and it evaporates. Then the water is gassy and floats up to the sky. The clouds collect the gas that was water. The clouds fills up with the water and starts to turn gray. Then the cloud gets full and gets sick to its stomach and throws up rain back to the Earth. Then it starts all over again.

Me: Really, you have learned so much in Kindergarten so far!

When I was teaching I remember making my kids draw the water cycle or use Inspiration software to create the water cycle. As Tucker was talking, I couldn't help but wonder how he would draw his version of the water cycle and giggle a bit at the thought of what I was pictureing in my head. Now, I really don't know exactly how the water cycle was taught to the class, but somehow I really don't think that "throwing up rain" was involve. But, I could be wrong! I am sure his teacher would be so proud of her star student and the knowledge he is gathering.

0 comments: